The Penumbra SMART COIL® System is comprised of COMPLEX and WAVE™ coils designed for framing, filling, and finishing. These coils have varying levels of softness which can be used to pack even the most delicate aneurysms. All coils within the Penumbra SMART COIL System feature an Ultra HD Fiber designed to provide stretch resistance, durability, and flexibility at the coil/pusher interface. Penumbra SMART COIL also features an instant, single-click mechanical detachment system for ease of use and reliability.
The Penumbra SMART COIL System is used to treat a wide range of neurovascular lesions, including small, medium, and large-sized aneurysms.
Caution: Federal (USA) law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician. Prior to use, please refer to the Instructions for Use for Penumbra SMART COIL System for complete product indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, potential adverse events, and detailed instructions for use.
Indication For Use
The Penumbra SMART COIL® System is indicated for the embolization of:
There are no known contraindications.
The Penumbra SMART COIL System should only be used by physicians who have received appropriate training in interventional techniques.
• The device is intended for single use only. Do not resterilize or reuse. Resterilization and/or reuse may compromise the structural integrity of the device or increase the risk of contamination or infection leading to device failure and/or cross-infection and potential patient injury, illness or death.
• Do not use kinked or damaged devices. Do not use opened or damaged packages. Return all damaged devices and packaging to the manufacturer/distributor.
• Standard and Soft configurations of Smart Coils are designed with Nitinol wire inside the platinum outer coil. The safety and effectiveness of this device has not been evaluated in patients with Nitinol allergy.
• Use prior to the “Use By” date.
• Use device in conjunction with fluoroscopic guidance.
• Do not advance or withdraw the device against resistance without careful assessment of the cause using fluoroscopy.
• Moving or torquing the device against resistance may result in damage to the vessel or device.
• Maintain a constant infusion of an appropriate flush solution
Potential Adverse Events
Possible complications include, but are not limited to:
• acute occlusion
• air embolism
• allergic reaction and anaphylaxis from contrast media
• aneurysm rupture
• arteriovenous fistula
• coil herniation into parent vessel
• device malfunction
• distal embolization
• embolic stroke and other cerebral ischemic events
• false aneurysm formation
• hematoma or hemorrhage at access site of entry
• incomplete aneurysm occlusion
• intima dissection
• intracranial hemorrhage
• myocardial infarction
• neurological deficits including stroke
• parent artery occlusion
• peripheral thromboembolic events
• post-embolization syndrome
• premature device detachment
• renal failure
• respiratory failure
• thromboembolic episodes
• vessel spasm, thrombosis, dissection or perforation
- Multiple softness levels: Standard, Soft, Extra Soft
- Instant mechanical detachment
- Compatible with .0165″ and .017″ inner diameter microcatheters
- Sizes range from 1 mm to 18 mm in diameter and lengths of 1 cm to 60 cm in length
Question About This Device?
Enter your email address and we will contact you.