Data on Indigo® System and Ruby® Coil Highlighted in Oral Presentations, CEO Adam Elsesser Participating in Opening Plenary Innovations Panel
ALAMEDA, Calif. – February 27, 2015 – Penumbra, Inc., a global interventional therapies company, today announced that its newest vascular embolization device, POD™, will debut at the Society of Interventional Radiology 2015 meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. In addition, results of two clinical trials featuring Penumbra technology will be presented: the Aneurysm Coiling Efficiency (ACE) study analyzing the benefit of high packing density on the long-term outcome of peripheral embolization with the Ruby® Coil, and multicenter results of the acute limb ischemia revascularization study (PRISM) utilizing the Indigo® Thromboembolectomy System.
POD (Peripheral Occlusion Device) is a vessel occlusion tool for vascular embolization. POD’s proprietary anchor technology enables precise placement of the device at the target location. POD quickly transitions to a soft packing segment to create a stable dense occlusion. Once the desired positioning is achieved, accurate, instant detachment ensures physician control. POD is designed to be delivered through a high-flow microcatheter, permitting the physician to mechanically occlude distal vessels.
“POD is a significant advancement for vascular embolization,” said Adam Elsesser, chairman and chief executive officer of Penumbra. “Its unique design enables POD to anchor to the vessel wall, enabling interventionalists to increase accuracy and packing density during embolization procedures. Increased packing density helps ensure more effective embolization.”
Podium and Panel Presentations
- Penumbra CEO Adam Elsesser is featured on the plenary session panel, “Innovation, Macroeconomics, and the Future of Minimally Invasive Therapies,” Sunday, March 1 from 10:30 a.m. to noon in the Sidney Marcus Auditorium.
- Corey Teigen, M.D., Sanford Health Fargo in North Dakota, will present data on the Ruby Coil from the ACE trial. “Experience Using Large Volume Detachable Coils in the Peripheral Vasculature: Preliminary Results from the ACE Multicenter Study” will be presented on Sunday, March 1 at 1:27 p.m. in Room 304. Abstract 40.
- James Benenati, MD, FSIR, Baptist Cardiac & Vascular Institute in Miami, Florida, will present data on Indigo System from the PRISM trial. “Revascularization of acute ischemia and thrombo-embolic complications in below-the-knee and visceral arterial circulation using a novel mechanical thrombo-aspiration device: Initial findings of the PRISM Multicenter Study” will be presented Monday, March 2 at 1:09 p.m. in Room 303. Abstract 108.
Penumbra will also host education sessions (Booth #739) where physicians can join in discussions with experienced users, participate in hands-on workshops, and deploy the POD, Ruby, and Indigo in simulated models:
- Sunday, March 1: Parag Patel, M.D., Medical College of Wisconsin
- Wednesday, March 4: James Benenati, M.D., FSIR, Baptist Cardiac & Vascular Institute in Miami, Florida
Penumbra will host a dinner symposium, “The Secret to Innovation in Today’s Healthcare Environment – Penumbra’s Embolization and Thrombectomy Technology in the Periphery,” on Tuesday, March 3 at the Omni Hotel. The symposium will include a panel discussion moderated by Dr. Benenati and featuring Ziv Haskal, M.D., of University of Virginia Health System and Rahul Patel, M.D., of Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
Penumbra is a partner of the new SIR Corporate Ambassador Program to help advance interventional radiology and the SIR mission.
More information about Penumbra’s events at the meeting can be found on the SIR 2015 Mobile App.
Penumbra, Inc. (www.penumbrainc.com) is a global interventional therapies company that develops and markets medical devices to treat challenging medical conditions suffering from significant unmet clinical need. Penumbra’s interventional therapies are used by specialist physician customers to treat patients in three clinical markets: neurovascular disease, peripheral vascular disease and neurosurgery. Penumbra has over 800 employees and its global headquarters is located in Alameda, California, with sales operations around the world.
Penumbra Media Relations: